Gender Roles

Gender Roles

Monday, November 23, 2015

You Declare To The Lord Jem?

Blog 1:
“I declare to the Lord you're getting more like a girl everyday" Jem says to his sister Scout in the book by Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Scout must be sitting there dumbfounded thinking, What's that supposed to mean?
Well I feel you scout, I feel you, what is that supposed to mean? Are girls who like more physical activity not allowed to still be a girl? You declare to the Lord Jem? I declare to the Lord you're being a little rude to Scout here. Why do girls get judged for doing more physical activity? Girls aren't even allowed to play football because they're too fragile! Is Jem worried about his sister wearing dresses and not wanting to play with him anymore? Girls can't do CrossFit because they're not strong enough, girls are too little and weak to do sports or men work. Or can they? They did do all the work the men did for World War 2, Rosie is so right “Yes we can” but of course in this society Girls are very underestimated and put down to such low standards. Girls and Women even are expected to need help to get something off a high shelf.  Women today shouldn't work but stay home, cook, clean and tend to the kids. I think Girls are so underestimated and even the heaviest bag of groceries is too much of a challenge for a woman/girl to take part in, at least that’s what society says.

In TKAM the town is very patriarchal and the men tend to the whole town and the ladies are expected to sit on their porches and watch the men work, or in some of their cases watch the Radley house stay still and gloomy. Or if you’re Miss Maudie your house burns down.I also want this blog to take one quick turn. Today in class we talked about racism and races. Unfortunately my class has this one girl who just won’t stop arguing and doesn’t listen to anyone, you know that one girl you follow on instagram and every post is a rant? basically that’s what I had to deal with today. She ranted all day about how African-Americans are the only people that have problems in this world and I would like to add I strongly disagree with that statement, The white girl you called fat today, starves herself and the white girl you called a slut for being pregnant  she was raped. The muslim girl you blocked on instagram because she doesn’t speak your language is the sweetest person. So Miss.Rant, if you’re reading this I hope you know that white people have their own problems and are also treated awful too. Many white girls, among as black girls are kidnapped and raped every day but black girls aren’t messed with too much because they're seen as “Too Tough” maybe I’m wrong, I mean hey I don’t have all the answers but I don’t think I deserve to be not heard because my race doesn’t have all the problems. I’m not from the South, i'm from the North, where Abraham Lincoln fought to abolish slavery and still let the South join the rest of the world after the war, I hate racist people and I have some friends that will be racist and the funny thing is, they’re black, they are legit racist to themselves. TBH I don’t think whites should be called racist if blacks have racist jokes about themselves, also Miss. Rant you can’t believe everything buzzfeed tells you. #indirect. I think I’m done here

No comments:

Post a Comment