Gender Roles

Gender Roles

Sunday, November 22, 2015

I can do whatever I want.

"Don't you contradict me!" Mrs. Dubose bawled.
"And you-" she pointed an arthritic finger at me-
"what are you doing in those overalls? You should be in a dress and camisole, young lady! You'll grow up waiting on tables if somebody doesn't change your ways- a Finch waiting on tables at the O.K. Café- hah!

Mrs. Dubose- nasty old lady, always yelling at Scout, Jem, and Atticus.

When I read this I felt like I couldn't read anymore, because I thought/think this is wrong.
Mrs. Dubose trying to tell Scout what she should wear and how she should act? Um no. 
Mrs. Dubose has no right to tell scout what she should wear.
Mrs. Dubose kept on pointing out her expectations and apparently other people's expectations on how to dress and act "like a girl".
In this case Mrs. Dubose should have respected her and let her wear what she wanted to wear.


This has happened in my life a lot and in others. For example when I was little I used to love wearing "boy-ish" clothes (as my cousins would call it) because I really liked it and it made me happy but at the same time it made me sad because my cousins would always criticize me, and they would tell me things like, "Why don't you wear dresses and jewelry on like every other girl?" They would constantly ask me that, but me being a little girl I didn't really pay much attention to what they said about me, but when it made me sad so I just kept it in.
                 

In my opinion there is no way to act or dress like a girl. Anyone can do anything as long as long as it makes them happy. No one should try to meet others expectations but just try to meet your own expectations. You don't have to follow what other people expect from you, you just have to do what ever makes you happy. Scout wanted to wear whatever she wanted to wear because it made her happy .


6 comments:

  1. The Beyonce gif is super relatable. I totally agree that other people shouldn't be able to tell you what to do especially when they aren't that close to you. It's so annoying how other people think they have any right to dictate others lives especially when its an age or gender thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point about how others don't dictate who you are or what you should wear is really important. I think people always try to push their opinions and expectations on others when it's not up to them. I also agree with Lucy on the Beyonce gif because it express how I feel when people tell me to do something different and that is not who I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your argument on how no one can change who you are and what you wear, because it it breaks down that concept of gender roles in society, and how girls or boys should be a certain way and do certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree everybody should be able to do what they want to do and see what they want to see, you can't stop have anybody from having rights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Beyonce gif. You're absolutely right that Scout shouldn't have had to follow Mrs. DuBose's narrow dictates of who she should be. Do you think Mrs. DuBose is different from other people? Why would she feel the need to impose her views? And is society's need to box people in even stronger in a small place such as Maycomb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Beyonce gif. You're absolutely right that Scout shouldn't have had to follow Mrs. DuBose's narrow dictates of who she should be. Do you think Mrs. DuBose is different from other people? Why would she feel the need to impose her views? And is society's need to box people in even stronger in a small place such as Maycomb?

    ReplyDelete