Gender Roles

Gender Roles

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Men can be backstabbing underhanded passive aggressive liars too!

" 'I get more like cousin Joshua everyday, don't I? Do you think I'll end up costing the family five hundred dollars?' I now know what he was trying to do, but Atticus was only a man. It takes a woman to do that kind of work." (Lee, 152)




this is what scout thinks of some women, apparently.
   This quote insinuates that only women are underhanded and passive aggressive, which is sexist and problematic for a number of reasons, one being that it generalizes all women everywhere, and two, that all women are passive aggressive and afraid of confrontation.
   In my own life, this reminds me of how the older generation of women in my family would accuse me of being to direct, an example of what I call generational internalized misogyny (say that three tines fast), where the older members of your family (usually a conservative christian grandma) will try to mute or stifle their younger granddaughters.
   From the book, this is similar to how Scout views most of the woman on the book, though her feelings aren't entirely unjustified, as she is mostly surrounded by previously mentioned conservative christian grandmas.


1 comment:

  1. Love your points about older generations. I hate when my aunts and grandmas harass me.

    ReplyDelete