Gender Roles

Gender Roles

Friday, November 20, 2015

Uncle Jack is Weird

"I took a deep breath. ""Well, in the first place you never stopped to gimme a chance to tell you my side of it-you just lit right into me. When Jem an' I fuss Atticus doesn't ever just listen to Jem's side of it, he hears mine too, an' in the second place you told me never to use words like that except in ex-extreme provocation, and Francis provocated me enough to knock his block off-"" (Lee, 113-114) This quote was used by a very upset Scout to a very misunderstanding Uncle Jack. It was provoked by Uncle Jack immediately taking Scouts cousin Francis' side during a fight and punishing Scout without hearing the full story. Now, I don't want to call Uncle Jack a sexist because I thought he was going to be a pretty cool character but let's face it, he is a little bit sexist. He took the boys story over the girls story without even hearing the girls story which gave some mixed signals to Scout. Uncle Jack is supposed to be this kind and cool uncle but he sides with a boy? When have boys ever told the truth? I can relate to this from being a child and my older brother having his word taken over mine. Although his word was usually more truthful while mine was more dramatic, but that's not the point. Sexism has been happening everywhere lately. Women have been trying to show the world that we can do anything that men can do and we will probably do it better and prettier. Just saying.