Gender Roles

Gender Roles

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Trial

“”I mean I didn’t stay long enough for him to run me off.” “You’re very candid about this, why did you run so fast?” “I says I was scared, suh.” “If you had a clear conscience, why were you scared?” “Like I says before, it weren’t safe for any n***** to be in a--fix like that.” “But you weren’t in a fix--you testified that you were resisting Miss Ewell. Were you so scared that she’d hurt you, you ran, a big buck like you?” “No suh I’s scared I’d be in court, just like I am now.” “Scared of arrest, scared you’d have to face up to what you did?” “No suh, scared I’d hafta face up to what I didn’t do.”” This quote is from the trial when Mr.Gilmer was questioning Tom Robinson about the incident. Basically what happened during the trial was Tom gave a great testimony, there was no evidence that he raped Mayella, and was honest about everything, while the Ewells were rude to the court and lied about what happened, but the Ewells won the case and Tom Robinson was sent to jail. The jury was completely biased all because the Ewells are white and Tom Robinson is black. The people took the white families word over the black mans word not based on evidence or facts but off of race. The jury should have been able to look past race and make their decision based on the testimonies and let Tom Robinson be free. To me this relates to all the police brutality against black males in modern time. In America, black males are twice as likely to get shot by the police than a white man. This shows that there is still racism in America, maybe not as bad as it was in the early 1930’s but it is still a problem.

1 comment:

  1. I like when you said the judge should have chosen by testimony instead of race because that's true i agree with that. Another thing is about the races being shot by police officers that is very true. Good job !

    ReplyDelete